Friday, June 10, 2011

11/6/11

As I wandered the wastelands
towers in ruin around me
lay a tree no mortal eye could comprehend;
no mortal mouth could describe.

Beneath it, he rests;
a giant chrysalis.
And as the leaves rattled; like children waiting to be fed;
the howling winds danced around me; and I looked.

The destroyed fires; the wrecked buildings,
What once dared to grab the sky; on its knees
even remains of mortals, just trying to grab on,
And they pointed in one direction; like schoolchildren taunting.

A tree, in the center. Its leaves rattling,
its core; pulsing
its chrysalis; rocking as if it beckoned
and though I knew better; I dared to touch it.

And I saw it.
I saw the chrysalis; its pulse growing heavier,
it glowed from the inside; it started to cleave itself open,
I almost thought I could reach the hand escaping the chrysalis.

And then I saw it.
as it darkened; its pulse slowing,
the embers let little glowing beams; pouring from cracks.
There were no words to describe this tree; as it bent; distorted and twisted as it came to the ground.

Have you ever seen a candle?
The tree tried to describe the flickering flame; dancing wildly,
I could almost hear a scream of pain
and then nothing.

It did not go without leaving marks; though;
it joined the others;
just mounds of dust;
in the barren wasteland.

I thought long and hard;
The others must have been beautiful too;
and I felt rage and sorrow flood me until I drowned from the inside out;
but I swallowed it and just kept walking.

I like to believe that is what this wasteland will mold me into;
Because stopping only draws pain and sorrow;
reaching only brings destruction
but walking brings about nothing.

It's just how I roll

No comments: